Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mafia 2 Review

Hello I'm the SkyGamer and I will be reviewing Mafia 2 today . Mafia 2 is the sequel to the original Mafia which was a great hit back in 2002 . Will this one be as awesome as the original ? Read the review to find out .

Story : In Mafia 2 , you play as Vito Scaletta . A sicilian who will join a crime family later in the game . I cannot reveal more of the story without spoiling it for you guys . The story is by far the best aspect of the game . There are a lot of twists and turns . It's the greatest story I've seen in a video game in a long time . The dialog is great and you feel immersed in the universe of Mafia 2 thanks to the great story . The only complaint I have about the story , it's that it ends on a small cliffhanger , possibly creating room for some DLC or maybe even a sequel. 

The story gets an excellent 9/10

Graphics : The graphics in this game are also very good . They are not anything groundbreaking , but they are certainly not bad . There are no texture pop-ins while driving and there are very few visual glitches . I have only experienced one visual glitch during one cut scene throughout the whole game and it was nothing big .

The graphics get a 8.5/10

Gameplay : The gameplay in Mafia 2 is OK . The typical get into cover , shoot and reload . The controls are also average .Driving can get frustrating at times because you get a lot of damage to your health when you're being shot , even when you're in the car . At one point in the game , I had to drive away from people shooting at me from other cars . Somehow , I always died and I was playing on normal . I died like 6 times before I finally got through and survived . I have no idea why died all those times , I did nothing different and there , I didn't die and I was able to continue on with the mission .I guess the NPC's did something different . Oh , and about NPC's acting differently , that can get weird sometimes . During one mission , I had to follow a guy . He encountered a car in the middle of the road ( It wasn't mine ) and he couldn't go on so I had to start over the mission .The gameplay is linear , you cannot take choices and all that stuff. There are no day and night cycles . But this linear gameplay sets the mood for the missions . Some missions are just meant to be played at night and vice-versa . Also , there is not much to do in the beautiful city of Empire Bay , which is a 1940's clone of New York . The gameplay did not feel repetitive , it's probably because of the amazing story and how everything goes together so well.

There are a few gameplay glitches , but besides that , the gameplay is good  . The gameplay gets an okay 7/10

Replayability : This is the part of the game that is bad in my opinion . After you beat the game , you cannot free roam . There are magazines and wanted posters to collect between missions , but that can get real boring real fast . You might think that you can go get them after you beat the game , but you can't . The game ends on a cliffhanger . It will probably take you around 14 hours to beat Mafia 2 and a few more if you want to collect everything. 

Replayability in this game is bad . It gets a 5/10


Overall , Mafia 2 is a great game with an amazing story . But there is nothing to do when you beat the game . My suggestion is to rent it or wait for the price to drop a bit and then to buy it . 

Mafia 2 gets a good 7.5 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment